Shipping with Upela: how to pack and protect your parcels ?
Some rules and tips to help you protect your shipment
Package your consignmentsThere are some rules and tips to follow for successful packaging. It is evident that the great majority of recorded damage to parcels are due to inadequate or inappropriate packaging. Here are some guidelines to follow for good packaging and to ensure the delivery of your goods in a perfect condition.
Protection of your shipment from the external environment :
- If your parcel weighs more than 20 kilos we advise you to use a double or triple corrugated cardboard box.
- If your parcel weighs more than 50 kilos we advise you to use a wooden, metal or solid plastic box,as well as a molded foam interior protection.
- Check that your packaging is hermetically sealed, especially if the contents are sensitive (e.g. books, hi-tech goods).
Protection of your parcel against blows and shocks :
The golden rule is to immobilise your contents within the packaging. A 'floating' item is at far more risk of damage than an object securely anchored. We recommend that you use shock-absorbing, packing materials such as bubble-wrap, polystyrene, newspapers and rags. In particular, if you are sending a fragile item, the rule is : package volume = 2 x item's volume. Note - never put two fragile objects in contact in their packaging: use packing between each item.
Think about the transport and handling of your parcel
When you are making up your packaging, try to imagine how it will be transported and handled among other parcels. It needs to be secure and easily moved. Generally speaking, it is better to send several small parcels than one large one which is difficult to handle. It is preferable to avoid using string or cord; aim for a uniform, smooth package.
Remember that it is your responsibility to check that the goods you are sending are not on the list of prohibited or controlled goods.
Products requiring special packaging :
- Glass containers and fragile items must be transported in specific boxes with individual compartments that allow a separation of 2 inches with the side of the container and between each item.
- The baggage should be wrapped in plastic film or adhesive tape.
- Tires must be wrapped in plastic film to avoid direct contact with other parcels.
- Paintings / frames require appropriate packaging according to the size of the goods.
For a large product : the face and the corners of the item must be protected with a rigid material that prevents degradation or distortion (use inside foam protection for fragile items). Ideally, use a wooden box.
For a small product : use a rigid special-sized cardboard.
- The furniture must be packed disassembled in a standard shape cardboard with the necessary protections to ensure the safety of the item for express delivery services.
Protect your shipment
The ideal packaging for the parcels service
1 - Exterior packaging
Use a new, corrugated cardboard box with intact flaps and corners.
For heavy, solid items = very thick triple-corrugated cardboard.
For light or fragile items = double-corrugated cardboard
2 - Padding
WIth light and fragile items, each piece should be separately wrapped and padded to keep them apart with no space between them, nor any gaps.
The rule is :
- Light items = flexible, thick padding
- Heavy items = dense padding
The item should not be in contact with the exterior packaging. Protect all sides
3 - The position of the item
No empty space in the parcel, the item should be stable; if you shake the parcel no movement should be felt. Do not use butterfly shape polystyrene chips for heavy items, as they are not efficient because of the vibrations during transport.
4 - Sealing
Use wide parcel tape, 5 cm minimum, strong and weather resistant. Apply to all the openings, and on all the edges of each face of the cartons.
5 - The transport label
For trouble-free delivery, stick the delivery label on the top of the parcel, on a clean, flat surface. Do not use the sticky surface of the label to seal the parcel, never position it over an opening or in the corner.
Check that your parcel will not come apart !